If you wear braces, sometimes you may have one or two brackets that keep falling off. This happens more when you have a bracket that attaches to a crown or dental restoration. The question is why do braces brackets keep coming off?
There are several reasons why your brackets keep coming off, such as:
- Not following the instructions given by your orthodontist
- An unfavorable condition of your teeth
- Faults or errors while attaching brackets
- An injury to the mouth
The most common cause for brackets to fall off is the patient’s habits or not taking care of braces.
You should know about these reasons in detail so that you can prevent the damage, otherwise, you may get these:
Sometimes, this can happen within a few days after braces are attached to your teeth. Sometimes this may occur weeks or months later.
But, you shouldn’t get worried as there is always a way to solve any orthodontic problem.
In this article, we have discussed all the responsible factors thoroughly and what you should do if brackets keep coming off.
Is it normal for brackets to pop off?
Sometimes, your bracket may fall off 3 to 4 times during the whole procedure which may not be considered as too often.
But, if it’s more than that, then there must be a problem.
Why do my brackets keep coming off from natural teeth?
Factors related to the patient, the orthodontist, and even teeth itself can be responsible for the brackets to keep falling off.
Let’s take a look at these.
1. The patient’s not maintaining brackets
After getting braces your orthodontist advises you to follow instructions. But, why does he or she do that?
One of the reasons is to keep your braces healthy. Wearing braces need lifestyle modification until your treatment ends.
But, when you fail to do that, you may have a problem like your brackets keep coming off.
These may be due to the following factors-
Wrong food habits – Braces wearer should change their dietary habits. You should stay away from eating or chewing hard, crunchier and sticky foods. You should avoid sticky candy, apples, popcorn, etc. Don’t bite down on a chicken or meat bone. All of these may cause brackets to fall off. You should add softer foods to your diet.
Though it’s hard to maintain these food habits, you should follow it to get faster results and properly aligned teeth. Otherwise, you have to wait too long to take braces off.
Bad oral habits – Following habits may be responsible-
- Your orthodontist will check your bite after attaching braces. There shouldn’t be any interference when you bite. But, the biting pattern isn’t the same at all times in some patients. Maybe he or she bites correctly when orthodontist monitors. But, he or she may use a different path to make a bite during eating or at other times. So, they may bite on the brackets which can cause damage.
- Some patients may have bad biting habits like clenching teeth frequently. This happens unconsciously during sleeping or all the time of day. These habits may make your brackets lose. Grinding teeth while sleeping can be minimized by placing a night guard in the mouth. Consult your orthodontist about it.
- Some may have bad habits such as biting pens, fingernails, and other objects. These are also harmful to braces.
Wrong brushing technique – You shouldn’t brush vigorously. Wrong brushing techniques can cause the damaging of brackets which can lead to falling out of brackets. This may also result in the wire of your braces popped out of a bracket or broke in half. You should know about proper brushing technique from your orthodontist to avoid damaging of braces.
Learn all effects of not brushing teeth with braces.
Wrong flossing – Learn the proper technique of flossing while wearing braces from your orthodontist. Otherwise, you may damage the brackets or wire.
2. Faulty technique or mistakes by the orthodontist
Everyone can make mistakes, so why not an orthodontist. Sometimes, even after trying their best, they can make mistakes, because placing a bracket on a tooth is very sensitive.
- A material acting as a glue such as dental cement or composite is used to make an attachment. The surface of the tooth enamel must be cleaned and dried nicely to get better bonding between them. But, sometimes debris may be present there even after cleaning. Adhesive materials can’t stick on the uncleaned enamel surface. This can result in fall out of brackets days after attaching brackets.
- Another problem is moisture and your saliva. It’s hard to isolate teeth from saliva when there is too much salivation during attaching brackets. It can be responsible for weak bonding. But, your orthodontist tries his or her best to prevent this problem.
- Your orthodontist should be aware of the appropriate ratio of materials during mixing. Otherwise, there can be a loose mix. This causes the cement to lose its strength to attach teeth to brackets. So, the outcome is the loosening of brackets.
Always consult a qualified orthodontist to great proper treatment.
3. Condition of teeth
- The tooth itself can be the reason for brackets to keep coming off. Tooth enamel should be healthy to make a good bond with brackets. But, when there is a defective enamel, bonding becomes weak. This can happen in some conditions when you have a brown or yellow color enamel (hypocalcified) or chalky white color enamel (hypercalcified). Orthodontist identifies this problem before attaching braces, though he or she may not be able to do much about this.
- Another condition is the presence of a crack on the surface of the enamel. This should be fixed before starting orthodontic treatment.
Although brackets can be placed on these types of teeth, attachment between them is not so good. Therefore, brackets get loose after some time.
Many patients ask this question, “Why does my same bracket keeps coming off or breaking?”
- The reason is your bracket is attached to a defective enamel or a crown or dental restoration (discussed later). Even though you replace it with a new bracket, it may keep falling off. So, if you know about this problem early, take proper care of brackets, placed on this area, to prevent fast damage.
- Another reason for the same brackets to keep falling off is your upper tooth may be hitting a bracket on a lower tooth. Tell your orthodontist to fix this. He or she can place bonding materials to the teeth to prevent this.
- Brackets may also keep coming off from the same tooth due to patients eating habits or teeth cleaning techniques, which I discussed before.
It’s uncommon for a bracket to keep falling off more than once. However, when this happens to a back tooth, your orthodontist can consider placing a band around the tooth. A band is more stable.
4. An injury to the mouth
Try to avoid any injury happening while you are wearing braces. An example of that is getting hit in the mouth while playing sports.
This may cause so much damage not only to your brackets but also your teeth and soft tissue of the mouth. You can wear a mouthguard when you are in activities like sports.
Why Do my brackets keep coming off from a crown or bridge?
Adhesive or glue such as dental cement or composite bond better to natural teeth than to a dental restoration like a crown or bridge.
Though the different techniques and types of adhesives are used to attach brackets to a crown or bridge, it’s still strong enough. So, it might not last very long and fall off.
So, your orthodontist provides a minimal force to a tooth with a crown or bridge to prevent this. In this case, teeth move slower and the duration of treatment is also longer.
What to do if one of your brackets falls off?
If your bracket comes off, don’t get frustrated as it can be solved. However, you shouldn’t be too late to get it fixed. Consult your orthodontist as soon as possible.
Don’t lose your bracket. Take it to your orthodontist. He or she can reattach it. But, you should never try to attach it by yourself. It could make the situation complicated and hamper your treatment.
If you are able to use the wax, choose the right product and keep it with you always as it can be helpful at any time.
Our recommended orthodontic wax:
But, what if you lose a Bracket?
Even though you lose a bracket, you shouldn’t be worried as new brackets can be attached. Just don’t be late or shy to visit your orthodontist because there shouldn’t be any interference during the period of orthodontic treatment with braces.
If you know that you’re responsible for brackets keep coming off, don’t hide it from your orthodontist. Otherwise, your brackets may keep falling off and your treatment may not be effective.
How can we know why brackets keep coming off?
You may not know the exact cause, but you can know if you are responsible for that. Another way is by keeping a note of when the brackets come off.
If it falls off immediately or after a few days of attaching the brackets, the cause might be tooth or patient’s habit related.
If it falls off weeks or months later, the cause might be related to bonding technique or fault.
What happens if you swallow my braces bracket?
Be careful that it doesn’t happen. But, even if you swallow a bracket, don’t be afraid. It’ll pass through your stool. It shouldn’t do any damage. But, if you have any pain or discomfort, seek medical attention.
Do you have to pay for a loose bracket?
It depends on your orthodontist. If you don’t lose your loose or detached bracket and it’s not damaged, your orthodontist may reattach it into the previous position.
But, if you lose the bracket, you have to place a new bracket on that teeth. So, you may have to buy a new bracket. The cost of the broken single bracket may be minimal.
Some orthodontist doesn’t charge you for the first few broken brackets. Still, it’s up to him or her and the cause of breakage.
Though it’s not usual that your braces brackets can keep coming off, you should know why this happens so that you can be aware of it.
Reasons maybe your food habits or bad oral habits, your orthodontist mistakes or technical fault while attaching brackets and bad health of teeth.
It occurs more in a tooth with a crown or bridge than in a natural tooth.
You should maintain brackets according to your orthodontist’s instructions to prevent this from happening.